Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Potty training

Yesterday marked Day #1 of serious potty-training here in the Atok house. I got the boys all excited about their new Disney-themed underwear and the prospect of a "candy" reward for using the potty. (I know, I know, I'm a dietitian and I shouldn't use candy. But they rarely get candy so it works well as a reward.:)). Monday started out great. Both boys were using the potty and we only had one accident. I put them in diapers for their nap. The afternoon was great for Collin - he continued to do very well with no accidents. Brendan was half-heartedly trying and I was having to make him sit on the potty. He didn't have any accidents put he was definitely holding it all in until bedtime!

Today Collin has done such a great job! I reminded him about every hour to potty and he will go in, take off his own underwear and do his business! Then he likes to help me flush the toilet. No accidents today! I decided to give Brendan the choice today. I told him if he wanted to wear underwear he had to use the potty. "No way!" he told me...he didn't want to use the potty. So diapers it was for him today and he was happy as a clam. I figure that sooner or later he will want to be just like his brother and wear underwear. Until then, I will just enjoy buying and changing half the amount of diapers!

Over the weekend Collin had seen a commercial for Chuck E Cheese and kept asking Mike and I if he could go there. I have taken them there only once, like 6 months ago!! We told him no,it was closed! ;) Well, he didn't forget about it,of course and asked me again on Monday if he could go to Chuck E Cheese. So I told him that if he can use the potty this whole week that we will go to Chuck E Cheese on Friday. That will be his big reward for becoming such a big boy. He is SO excited about it!! He was kind of not wanting to use the potty tonight, so I reminded him of his Chuck E Cheese reward and he went running into the bathroom and took care of business. :) I'll have to be sure to take my camera to document the party!

1 comment:

The Ortega's said...

Go Collin!!! Woo hoo!! I am so not looking forward to potty training. I think you are probably right that Brendan will want o be like his brother... esp. if they get to go to Chuck E. Cheese. BTW, Chuck E. Cheese has reward charts that you can download and complete for free tokens!! And they have one for potty training http://www.chuckecheese.com/promotions/rewards-calendars.php